New Page 1
Discerning God's Mind and Heart
Who does God want to raise up? The faithful who will do what is in God's mind and God's heart. (1 Samuel 2:35)
Do you want to do what is in God's mind and heart, but struggle with knowing what His plan is for you? God doesn't require something of us that is beyond our ability --He wants to reveal His mind and heart to us. We just have to meet the conditions to be in a position to receive and discern His mind and heart in matters.
How do we do this?
1. Keep a short account. Confess all known sin and receive His forgiveness. Walk in repentance and fellowship with Him.
2. Be humble. God resists the proud, but look at all He promises the humble:
- He hears their desires, prepares their hearts, and causes their ears to hear.
- He dwells with them and revives their hearts and spirits. (Isaiah 57:15)
- He exalts them. (Matthew 23:12 and 1 Peter 5:6 adds, "in due time".)
- He gives them grace. (James 4:6 and 1 Peter 5:5)
- He lifts them up. (James 4:10)
3. Spend time in His Word --His Living Word is able to cleanse, guide, and speak to us. This is the primary way He reveals His will to us, and nothing He ever tells us will be contrary to it, so we need to know it!
4. Be quiet. Learn to be still and wait upon the Lord. Be sensitive to His Spirit. Don't allow the circumstances of everyday life or your emotions to distract you. Take time to slow down and listen.
5. Walk in the Light you've been given. So often, we already know the right choices to make, we just have to do it. Step out in faith, doing what you already know to do, and trust God to make the rest of the way plain!
6. Live your life full of thanksgiving and praise, walking in an attitude of prayer.
“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” –Phil. 4:6-7
7. Live in Faith and Expectancy. Have faith and expect the Lord to minister to you each day. He longs to do so! Expect Him to guide you and He will --He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.
"My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him." --Psalms 62:5
© Copyright Tamara Eaton 2005, all rights reserved.
Permission is given to reprint any of Tamara's articles in non-profit publications as long as the article is reprinted in full and contains the copyright information and website address: chfweb.com. Please send a copy of the publication to :Deeper Life Family Ministries, P.O. Box 909, Killen, AL 35645.